Monday, May 27, 2013

It's Memorial Day and I'm Home

It's Memorial Day and I'm home. Last year, I was in Afghanistan. Already, I had prayed over the bodies of Soldiers assassinated in their offices and worked alongside medical teams from two other nations in trying to identify remains after a helicopter crash. Soldiers had committed suicide, leaving stunned comrades and grieving families behind. I'm home and I'm glad to be alive. I rejoice that finally I can eat steak again. Elsewhere, families still grieve and comrades still grapple with the absences of those with whom they worked. I pray for those families and friends who grieve that God will comfort them. Sometime today I will call a cousin whose father died in Vietnam. I pray for peace. Most of all, I pray that all will be reconciled to God through Christ. I'm home. I don't see my grown children as much as I would like, but we're all alive. My wife is here with me. It's Memorial Day and I'm home.

1 comment:

SharonR said...

Yes, it is good to be alive. My husband was in Afghanistan and will be going back soon. He is not a soldier, but there is a danger nonetheless. We are like radars when we hear of news from there, especially Kabul, where he was. You do honor to God in this writing of thanksgiving.