Friday, October 20, 2006

Checking the facts

In discussions of politics and religion, people often respond emotionally to issues before they check the facts. That, at least, is how it appears to me. Whether discussing issues like military involvement overseas, the economy, ethics, or the treatment of religion in a popular novel or movie, first responses frequently come from visceral reactions, rather than a reasoned consideration of what has been said or depicted. Several weeks ago, I heard a preacher state that we are baptized "into death" in a sermon on Romans 6, not because of death to sin. I began to feel my blood pressure rise; I disagreed with his statment. Fortunately, my Bible was open in my lap to the passage, and I read it before I opened my mouth after the service and removed all doubt that I was a fool. My assumption was wrong; the preacher was right! Our beliefs begin in our parent's words to us, our experiences, what we hear respected leaders say. Sometimes those foundations are faulty. Check your sources before you lash out. Read, then rebut (or repent).

No comments: