Monday, September 11, 2006

Travel Ramblings

I drove two thousand miles last week, travelling almost all the way across the United States. From the live oaks of Georgia to the rolling hills and rivers of Tennessee to the isolated wilderness (and a meteor crater) of West Texas to the almost alien landscapes of New Mexico and Arizona, I witnessed great natural beauty and evidence of God's greatness.
Human interaction also provided intriguing insights into God's workmanship. I saw several friends I had not seen for a long time. With one, it was as if we had seen each other the day before. Hopefully, it will not be nearly so long before the next meeting. With each, I marvelled at how they had changed, and what our relationship said about who I am. Could it be that our friends define us?
I visited the campus of Abilene Christian University. May its leaders keep alive a hunger for being Bod's people among their students and may they always honor those whose love for the Lord and desire to build leaders for a restoration of New Testament Christianity was a catalyst for great sacrfices as they laid the foundation for today's university.
I visited several churches of Christ. They ranged greatly in size and in personality. One was thoroughly integrated racially, another had elderly members, another had a large number of high school and college students. Yet, in each the people loved to sing God's praises and the preacher proclaimed a message from God's word. Each church had problems, I am sure, but I had not come to search for them.
Now I begin a new phase of life and ministry. This blog will continue, but may at times reflect my different geographic setting. Pray for me as I do for all who read this, that I may know courage and hope.
I saw an intriguing bumper sticker as I traveled: "May God give you twice what you wish for me." My first thought was, "What a wonderful sentiment, to wish so much good." Then I had a more cynical thought; perhaps this was an admonition for those who wished him ill. Let's break away from hurtful wished and road rage. Wish the stranger in the next car the best. He or she may be having a much worse day than yours. As I drove through an Ohio city years ago, a man who passed me blew his horn and flashed an obscene gesture at me. Then I saw his bumper sticker, "Christians aren't perfect, only forgiven. How true. You and I may make horrible mistakes, but if we keep our eyes on Jesus (Read Hebrews chapter 12), we may discover that God has not given up on us yet. Show God's grace wherever you go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God never gives up on us rather we give up on Him. I like the story of the footprints - you know the one. It is where the weary person questions God as to why when he looks back at his footprints in the sand, he sees sometimes two sets of prints but at others, often in his times of greatest crisis, he sees only one. Of course the answer is that the series of only one set of prints represented when God was carrying that person because he simply could not take a single step on his own. It gives me comfort to remember that even David and Jesus cried out to God as why He had forsaken them! Who am I that I should believe that my faith and dependence should seem stronger than theirs? (Forgive me for rambling, but it has not only been a long time in visiting, but a long time in finding the beauty of the written word.) Take care in your ramblings and, God willing, it will not be nearly so long before the next visit.