Thursday, March 09, 2006

My personal scary movie experience

I had the most uncanny experience the other night. While on a business trip, during a commercial in the basketball game, I channel-hopped and found a strange movie in which a television set repeatedly turns itself back on after being turned off. Then a zombie crawls out of the set. After about five minutes of that, I turned back to my game. Shortly thereafter, I turned off the television and went to bed. Fifteen minutes later, the noise of the television awakened me. I turned it off and went back to bed. Fifteen minutes later, it awakened me again. By this time, I began to worry about zombies (just kidding). The plug and socket were behind the heaviest furniture I've seen in a motel. Eventually, I solved the problem by setting the television on sleep mode for fifteen minutes and leaving it on. This time, it turned itself off and stayed off. I had begun to fear that my whole night's sleep would be disrupted and that I would be a zombie equivalent in my meetings the next day. Surprises constantly pop up in life. When you think you cannot lose, you do. When you think all hope is lost, suddenly a rainbow spans the sky. Sometimes things happen that we cannot understand or explain - a child's death, reports of UFO's, my television experience. Usually, as in the case of Job, all works together for good. Didn't the apostle Paul say that in Romans 5? Hope, illusory and derided, sustains us. Without it, we shrivel and die. So, don't fear the zombies. They're probably a figment of your imagination (You might want to worry about that). Keep hoping, and believing. Our God is an awesome God.

No comments: